Friday, May 28, 2010

Fatherhood discussion

Very interesting discussion going on today at The Guardian, the epitome of English Leftist Intelect-o-snobbery (the comments at the bottom much more so than the article)

Fatherhood (link)

Some great quotes:
  • Nothing prepares you for going on four years of sleep deprivation. 
  • The sense that I was being reborn. The mistakes I had made in the past, which for years I had regretted, suddenly were a path to the moment I first held my son in my arms.
  • For the first time I had the motivation to be actively good at something other than work.
  • I first became a father at 23 and I was completely terrified about what was to come, but in retrospect I find it hard to remember what things were like before my two kids came along.
  • One of the joys of fatherhood is teaching your children to think.
  • It just a real shame that not all men who become biological fathers have what it takes to be good Dads
(last one): I have a three month old, my first and this much I do know:
Get up - feed, change, comfort
Overwhelming tiredness
Mood swings
Get up - feed, change, comfort
Overwhelming tiredness
Depression
Get up - feed, change, comfort
Overwhelming tiredness
Suffocating lifestyle change
Get up - feed, change, comfort
Overwhelming tiredness
Why can't I do what I want any more?
Get up - feed, change, comfort
Overwhelming tiredness
Lack of support (because it's all about the mother)
Get up - feed, change, comfort
Overwhelming tiredness
Fear of admitting you are struggling sometimes (because it's all about the mother)
Get up - feed, change, comfort
Overwhelming tiredness
Unparalleled feeling of love and devotion
Get up - feed, change, comfort
Overwhelming tiredness
Unshakeable pride in your son/daughter
Get up - feed, change, comfort
Overwhelming tiredness
Everyone always says this stage doesn't last forever.

Dad U
-been there!

No comments:

Post a Comment