QUICK FACTS ABOUT FATHERHOOD (in the US): Source
* Some 24.7 million children (36.3 percent) live without their biological fathers;
* Nearly 1.9 million single fathers have children under age 18;
* 26 percent of absent fathers live in a different state than their children;
* About 60 percent of children in fatherless households have seen their fathers in the past year;
* 50 percent of children living apart from their fathers have ever been to their biological father’s home.
Stats like those indicate an impending cultural implosion. There isn't any point in blaming particular cultural/racial groups either (even if some of those numbers are frighteningly worse), what happens is one sphere of society impacts the rest. Government programs will not budge these millions. A massive turnaround in the hearts and lives of men and a return to God, impacting personal integrity, honesty, valor, and humility is the only possible way out of this morass.
Dad U is about
* providing simple ideas and resources for Dads to engage with their kids
* encouraging Dads to invest time in their families
* provoking thought
* recording the wisdom of honorable fatherhood
This is my first Fathers Day since I started the blog. I've found myself looking at my kids longer, holding their hand earlier, giving them the extra tickle and listening more intently to their prattle.
If Dad U does the same for one other Dad and moves the above numbers by a single digit, I will consider it all worth it.