Monday, August 16, 2010

#DadsTalking Bloggers Code of Conduct

Over the past few days, a select group of elite bloggers have teamed to create the greatest force in...(ED: who are you kidding)... OK, well some of us Dad Bloggers have congregated on Twitter. We've shared a joke or two and a live chat under the hastag of "#DadsTalking". The capitalization of that's important, otherwise we sound like a bunch of weirdo stalkers (the joke that won't die). Seems like the humble beginnings of a coalition of chaos chasers (which, after all, is what we are blogging about).
Well, no new organization, as ephemeral as it is, will really be taken seriously unless it has a code of conduct (aka, a set of rules that we can throw at each other when we get overly pretentious). So here goes, my contribution to the genesis of #DadsTalking:

#DadsTalking COC
  1. I will place higher value on my family than my blog/twitter, and will prioritize carefully so as to avoid the downward spiral into the hypocrisy vortex (HVX)
    1. a.  For those that need more specific guidance, this means: I will not blog/tweet during family time 
  2. I will empower other #DadsTalking bloggers as they strive to avoid the HVX, through adherence and accountability to rule #1
  3. I won't use other #DadsTalking bloggers stuff, even if it's really good and I probably thought of it first, without proper acknowledgment
  4. I will protect all kids in and around the #DadsTalking sphere
  5. I will be respectful of opinions other than mine, even if they are totally wrong
  6. I will not use the #DadsTalking hashtag for nefarious purposes, even when they deserve it
  7. I will refrain from using the term "DaddyBlogger" when my kids are too cool for it
  8. I will support fellow #DadsTalking bloggers with excellently witty comments on their blog posts
  9. I will sporadically crack jokes about stalking
Dad U
-please post on your blog, link to the tab at the top of Dad U, or to www.dadstalking.com

14 comments:

  1. How about something along the lines of "I will help promote and support my fellow #DadsTalking bloggers whenever possible"

    ReplyDelete
  2. - I will periodically send large sums of cash or cases of Yeungling (whichever is easiest) to SpinyNorman.

    Worth a shot...ok, seriously...

    -Rule #1, I will not talk about #DadsTalking.

    OK...now FOR REAL, for real...

    - I will not marginalize any race, religion, or culture under the #DasTalking hashtag.

    - I will support and follow all #DadsTalking bloggers with excellently witty comments on their blog posts.

    I'm sure I will think of more...gotta go mow the lawn.

    Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it. thanks for putting that together. your next task is organizing the REST of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. -Getting close to final version now. Its probably taken longer than the signing of the Declaration of Independence (most of this afternoon), so you know its heady stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good. I have nothing of substance to add at this exact moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we should hold each other accountable. Ask the question, have you spent time with your wife and kids. What have you made your priorities today.
    Work, wife and kids have to be put first before blogging and talking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Call me the fly in the ointment, but why do we need a code of conduct?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jack: you hit the nail on the head. The COC is designed precisely so as to trigger raging arguments over insignificant issues and provide the means to fragment #DadsTalking into bitterly divided factions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Comments over on www.dadstalking.com

    very, very cool. (and pretty darn funny…)
    POSTED BY JOHN CAVE OSBORNE | 18. AUG, 2010, 12:16 PM


    Looks good.
    What’s the super, secret handshake?
    POSTED BY SPINYNORMAN | 19. AUG, 2010, 9:18 AM


    We could tell you Spiny, but then we would have to kill you…..
    POSTED BY DAD U | 20. AUG, 2010, 11:27 AM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice code of conduct. I would stalk you guys, but unfortunately I have pledged, for the sake of my children, not to mess around with that Twitter stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool- we can act like a bunch of mommy bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dad U said...
    Jack: you hit the nail on the head. The COC is designed precisely so as to trigger raging arguments over insignificant issues and provide the means to fragment #DadsTalking into bitterly divided factions.

    It's DadBlogger not DaddyBlogger...

    ReplyDelete