Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Toyota Hilux

I drive a Swaggerwagon. Part of the benefit of being a dad, I suppose. 
But I want a truck.
I mean, between fencing, trampolines, basketball rings, bookshelves, tree forts, decking, and pool slides, etc etc, I've hauled a ton of stuff in the minivan. But taking the seats in and out, and cleaning up after is getting plain tiresome. I want a truck. I mean, it's for the kids, really, I could finally tackle the prairie house that the girls want and.... (Ed: we can't afford it, you have to wait).

Well, at least I've learned that if I ever do get a truck, I'll make it a Hilux (called "Tacoma" here in the US). As road tested by insurgents just about everywhere:


Newsweek article: Rebels and their Hilux
It’s not just rebels in Afghanistan that love the Hilux. “The Toyota Hilux is everywhere,” says Andrew Exum, a former Army Ranger and now a fellow of the Center for a New American Security. “It’s the vehicular equivalent of the AK-47. It’s ubiquitous to insurgent warfare. And actually, recently, also counterinsurgent warfare. It kicks the hell out of the Humvee.” 
Best paragraph in the article: 
An experiment conducted by British TV show Top Gear in 2006 offers one explanation. The show’s producers bought an 18-year-old Hilux diesel with 190,000 miles on the odometer for $1,500. They then crashed it into a tree, submerged it in the ocean for five hours, dropped it from about 10 feet, tried to crush it under an RV, drove it through a portable building, hit it with a wrecking ball, and set it on fire. Finally they placed it on top of a 240-foot tower block that was then destroyed in a controlled demolition. When they dug it out of the rubble, all it took to get it running again was hammers, wrenches, and WD-40. They didn’t even need spare parts.









2 comments:

  1. Awesome. I have a truck (not a Toyota, though) and I'm getting a minivan. Gotta keep the truck though. I don't see how anyone who owns a house can live without a pickup.

    It's true about Hiluxes being everywhere. I've never seen one fitted with .50 cals, but they make for excellent (but extremely dangerous) public transport all over Central America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted this because I'd noticed the Hilux trend, first in Black Hawk Down, then with the Taliban (seemed as if the Taliban were countered at first with Special Ops on horses [and air power, of course]). I though it was quite an interesting article, and I'm not a "car guy", but the video had me laughing hard.
    Now I want one.

    ReplyDelete